Location, Palazzo Frescobaldi
Located, in the coolest neighborhood in the world as it writes the Lonely Planet guide, where there are still craft workshops of the past, those that throughout the town have almost disappeared but here you get a dip in the history of Florence and where you have still the chance to meet the real Florentines.
The prestigious Palazzo Frescobaldi it is a property of the powerful Frescobaldi family since the fifteenth century.
In 1444 Stoldo of Lamberto Frescobaldi donated some of his land money for the construction of the Basilica of Santo Spirito, the last great work by Filippo Brunelleschi.
The palace was connected through a raised passage to the Church of Santo Spirito so that the Frescobaldi family could attend the religious functions without leaving home.
The first news of Frescobaldi’s wineries dates back to 1308. A curiosity is the existence of a document that records an exchange in nature (works of art for wine) with Michelangelo Buonarroti.
Vittorio degli Albizi, brother-in-law of the Frescobaldi for the marriage of her sister Leonia with Angiolo Frescobaldi, was among the first to test the Frescobaldi’s modern methods of wine production with the grafting of Chardonnay, Cabernet and Merlot vines in Tuscany in 1855.
On the first and second floor large, large flats were built, while the ground floor, which maintained the primitive appearance, was destined for shops and commercial activities, a function that in part still does today.
King and famous people stayed in this palace along the centuries.
The garden was divided into 4 parts, now it looks like a single grassy space, with a baroque fountain and a driveway with azalea plants that frame the area.
Of the garden we have no reliable news but surely it was characterized to have as its background the magnificent architecture of the bell tower and the basilica of Santo Spirito, its greatest beauty.
At present, Frescobaldi, one of the largest Italian wine producers of high quality, has the largest extension of vineyards in Tuscany with 1200 hectares and five seals, all located in particularly well-deserved areas and dedicated to the production of fine wines DOCG, DOC and IGT.